Each week, I’ll write a quick post to let you know what I’ve been up to, and what I’ve found interesting around the web.
I’ve always been a horrible chronicler, preferring to do more constructive things than reflective things, and I thought it’d be nice to have a way to quickly scan over what I’ve been doing recently.
You don’t need to read these entries, and you may even call them narcissistic, but at least this way there’s some peer pressure for me to continue!
What I’ve Been Doing
I spent the weekend getting the new theme you see here live on the site. There are still some improvements I’d like to make and I’m ashamed to admit I’ve only tested in a handful of browsers, but I’ve put it up anyway to ensure it doesn’t get wasted sitting on my hard drive for months or years. Let me know what you think!
I’ve been working on a lot of web projects lately, and getting started can be a real drag when you know you have to set up a file structure, a CSS reset, basic typography settings and a grid over and over again. Previously I’ve found CSS starters around the web to be too basic (rarely including a grid, usually stopping as far as a typography stylesheet) and CSS frameworks to be far too much. So I cobbled together the basics that I use most frequently and put them online in the form of Method Starter in case anyone else might find these useful. It’s still a work in progress, but you can get it on GitHub and fork it if you’d like to hurry it along.
Recently at Envato
As you may know, we closed down the Netsetter last week. The Netsetter was one of the three Envato sites that fall under my care–we refer to them colloquially as “the business blogs”–so while I’m sad to see it go, I’m also excited that I’ll have more time to spend on FreelanceSwitch and WorkAwesome! We simply felt that FreelanceSwitch and WorkAwesome were stronger sites showing better growth potential and wanted to divert more resources their way. Sorry to any of you who will miss the Netsetter–luckily, we’ve kept a part of it alive as a weekly Netsetter column on WorkAwesome.
I’ve also published my experiences with 0B0xer on WorkAwesome, which I’m finding makes getting to inbox zero fun again!
In other news, the company was featured on 37signals’ Boostrapped, Profitable, & Proud column. Interesting read!
What I’ve Been Reading
- Google Cars Drive Themselves, in Traffic
- A radical pessimist’s guide to the next 10 years
- Caught Spying on Student, FBI Demands GPS Tracker Back
- A few funny posts from clientsfromhell.net.
- Facebook Moves Closer to EFF Bill of Privacy Rights (hard to believe given that you can be added to the new Groups by others, without confirming or opting in at all)
- Lung on a chip is the first lab-ready mini organ to be used in drug research
- Yoda was originally played by a monkey in a mask, and other secrets of The Empire Strikes Back
- LeDuff: Trauma ward shows a harsh reality
- 50 Pixel Perfect Icon Sets for Your Collection
- Typographic Sins
- The Intermediate Guide to Mastering Passwords with LastPass
- BoardGameGeek — I hardly play board games, but this site makes me wish I did!
- ProFantasy releases Cosmographer 3
- And finally, Blizzard Entertainment wins at the 404 page.